Logging mail sent from GMail
Note: if possible, it is much simpler to have your Google Apps admin configure outbound logging for you, using your normal forwarding instructions.
But, if you need to configure this for yourself, there is a (slightly complicated) workaround. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
OVERVIEW [ Next » ]
You will continue to send & receive email from your GMail account like usual. In the background, we're going to create a second "copycat" account that exists solely to copy email from your work account and then forward it to Absolute Automation for logging.
ENABLE POP ON YOUR WORK ACCOUNT [ Next » ]In your work gmail account:
- Go to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP and scroll to the "POP Download" area
- Check the box to Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on
- Make sure to choose Keep the copy in the Inbox option
- Save Changes
Your POP Download area should look like this.
CREATE YOUR COPYCAT ACCOUNT [ Next » ]
Create a new GMail account (http://mail.google.com/mail/signup)
Use a descriptive email address like "email@example.com" so you remember what it's for.
Note: if multiple people at your company will be doing this, it's a good idea to signup for Google Apps Standard Edition (free). While it's not required, it's a good idea because you can group all your "copycat" accounts into a single Google Apps build and therefore a single place to add & remove copycat accounts when you add or remove Absolute Automation users.
CONFIGURE COPYCAT FORWARDING [ Next » ]
Now we're going to configure your new copycat account to forward to Absolute Automation any email it fetches. We'll configure the mail-fetching part in the final step.
- Login to your copycat account
- Go to Settings > Forwarding and POP/IMAP
- Click Add a Forwarding Address
[SAMPLE ADDRESS](cut-and-paste this, don't retype it!)
- Wait a couple minutes & refresh the page - our servers are verifying the address
Have some coffee =)
- Once the address is confirmed, go to Settings > Filters
- Click "Create a new Filter"
- In the first step, enter your work email address in the "From" field
All fields except "From" should be empty.
- Click Next Step
- Check Forward It and select the address you just confirmed
- Click Create Filter
CONFIGURE COPYCAT POP ACCESS
At this point, your copycat account is setup to forward any email sent by your work email address. The last
step is to get email into the copycat account so that this rule has something to forward.
To do this, we configure your copycat account to download mail from your work account and then forward it to Absolute Automation.
- In your copycat account, go to Settings > Accounts and Import
- Click "Add POP3 email account"
- In the pop-up, enter your work email address, and click Next Step.
- In the next page, fill out all the fields as indicated below.
You don't need to check "leave a copy" as GMail does this for you.
- Click Add Account
- You're done! Your new copycat account will start downloading mail from your work account and forwarding it to Absolute Automation for logging.